This recipe for low-carb, gluten-free chocolate biscuits is completely flourless – basically you just use cocoa powder instead. You can’t go wrong with that much cocoa!
It takes about 20-25 minutes total to prepare and bake. Carb count is less than 1g net carbs per biscuit.
This recipe has turned out a bit tricky for some people, so please watch the video below, or read the comments in the end of this post to see the sort of issues people came up against.
It’s important to follow the recipe exactly – using correct ingredients in quantities as listed. Substitutions like swapping granulated sweetener for liquid sweetener drops most likely won’t work.
Video of this recipe
Lovely Manda Panda made a video of this recipe – check it out on YouTube.
What sort of cocoa powder should I use?
You will need to get sugar-free, Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
You can also add some sugar-free chocolate chips to the biscuits (if you are not afraid of chocolate overdose!). I use Willie’s Cacao 100% cacao sugar-free chocolate, roughly chopped.
If you are wondering about cocoa and chocolate on a low-carb diet, please have a look at this earlier post – basically, chocolate is not the problem (but added sugar is).
One good suggestion from Reddit was to put some ganache or cream topping on the biscuits. Have a look at this keto mousse, which could make a good topping.
Thanks for everyone’s comments!
UPDATE – 24 Dec 2013
I have tweaked the recipe – the updated version is included below. I added some cream cheese, and reduced the amount of cocoa powder. The texture is much better now. Please note they need to cool down completely when cooked, as they are not very crispy as soon as they come out of the oven.
The carb content is also a bit lower now (due to less cocoa powder).
Low-carb flourless chocolate biscuits
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 25 min
Yield: 12 biscuits
For the biscuits
- 45g (1.5oz) sugar-free cocoa powder
- 50g (2 oz) Truvia, or similar granular sugar substitute
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 60g (2oz) cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Mix cream cheese with Truvia and blend until smooth
- Lightly beat the eggs and mix with softened butter and vanilla extract
- Add the egg mixture to cream cheese and mix well until no lumps
- Gently fold in cocoa powder
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Spoon out the mixture into round mounds – they will flatten in the oven
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (some people reported overbaking, so please keep checking them frequently)
- Let cool completely, biscuits will get more crispy when cool
Serving size: 1 biscuit (assuming 12 are made from the amounts listed above)
Per biscuit: 75 calories, 0.8g net carbs, 7g fat, 3g protein
Recipe by, published on