This recipe for low-carb, gluten-free chocolate biscuits is completely flourless – basically you just use cocoa powder instead. You can’t go wrong with that much cocoa!
It takes about 20-25 minutes total to prepare and bake. Carb count is less than 1g net carbs per biscuit.
What sort of cocoa powder should I use?
You will need to get sugar-free, Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
If you are in the UK, I recommend Green & Black sugar-free cocoa powder. I use it in all my recipes.
You can also add sugar-free chocolate chips to the biscuits (if you are not afraid of a chocolate overdose!). I use Willie’s Cacao 100% cacao sugar-free chocolate, roughly chopped.
If you are wondering about cocoa and chocolate on a low-carb diet, please have a look at this post – basically, chocolate is not the problem (but added sugar is).
One good suggestion from Reddit was to put some ganache or cream topping on the biscuits.
Warning – before you start
Most of the feedback I got for this recipe is very positive.
But for some people, it turned out a bit tricky. Please watch the video below, or read the comments at the end of this post to see the sort of issues people came up against.
- Use the exact ingredients listed in the recipe. If you make any substitutions, there is no guarantee it will work.
- Definitely don’t use sweetener drops instead of granulated sweetener. That doesn’t work – you need the bulk of the granulated sweetener for texture.
- Ingredient quantities are included by weight in grams rather than cups/tbsp – this is deliberate, to keep the recipe more precise. If you try to estimate quantities in tbsp instead, you might get it wrong and the recipe won’t work.
- If the mixture turns out too runny to lay out on a tray, try adding 1 more tbsp each of sweetener and cocoa. It’s important to add both at the same time, as the flavours balance each other out.
Video of this recipe
Lovely Manda Panda made a video of this recipe – check it out on YouTube.
Low-carb flourless chocolate biscuits
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 25 min
Yield: 12 biscuits
For the biscuits
- 45g (1.5oz) sugar-free cocoa powder
- 50g (2 oz) Truvia, or a similar granular sugar substitute
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 60g (2oz) cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Mix cream cheese with Truvia and blend until smooth
- Lightly beat the eggs and mix with softened butter and vanilla extract
- Add the egg mixture to cream cheese and mix well until no lumps
- Gently fold in cocoa powder
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Spoon out the mixture into round mounds – they will flatten in the oven
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (some people reported overbaking, so please keep checking them frequently)
- Let cool completely, biscuits will get more crispy when cool
Serving size: 1 biscuit (assuming 12 are made from the amounts listed above)
Per biscuit: 75 calories, 0.8g net carbs, 7g fat, 3g protein
Recipe by, published on
Do you need more low-carb dessert recipes?
Try these great cookbooks. Sweet fat bombs make perfect Keto desserts.