Simple low-carb brownies
Brownies are generally quite easy to recreate without any flour or sugar. There are hundreds of low-carb brownie recipes out there, and here’s my recipe for sugar-free, gluten-free brownies.
My inspiration for these was Pret-A-Manger brownies, which I used to love back in the day before going low-carb. If you never tried them, they are very dense, fudgy and moist. I use a lot of chocolate and cocoa powder in this recipe, so the taste is very rich.
- 150g (5oz) 100% unsweetened solid dark chocolate
I normally use Willie’s Cacao. In the US, Ghirardelli do unsweetened chocolate bars.
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 90g (3oz) Truvia or another granular sugar substitute
- 90g (3oz) almond flour
- 30g (1oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- Chop up chocolate and butter into chunks and place them into a heatproof bowl.
- Melt the chocolate using the water bath method – put the bowl to sit on top of a larger pan of simmering water, so that part of the bowl is inside the pan and just above the water. (This is called Bain-Marie, or “water bath” – watch this 50-second video if you are not sure how to do it).
- Wait until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally so that it is thoroughly mixed with butter.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat the eggs and Truvia together for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add your egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Mix together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients into the egg/chocolate mixture and blend well
- Pour mixture into a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and check. The top of the brownies should be firm but the inside should stay moist, so take care not to over-bake them.
- For the total amounts listed above: 2346 calories, 50g net carbs, 250g fat, 73g protein.
- Per 1 brownie (assuming 20 brownies are made from the total amount above): 117 calories, 2.5g net carbs, 13g fat, 4g protein.
More low-carb, gluten-free recipes
- Check out my other low-carb chocolate recipes on this website
- I also recommend “The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking” cookbook by Peter Reinhart:
Read my review of the book | Buy this book on Amazon (UK) | Buy this book on Amazon (US)